Five Favorite Books Meme
I've been tagged by Stef for this meme which is currently making the rounds and has been passed on from one blogger to another clear across the world, or so it seems.
Stef got it from another Seattle blogger named Meg, who got it from New York blogger Josh, who got it from San Francisco blogger Pim (who is currently living it up in Paris), who got it from another San Francisco blogger named Amy, who got it from Ashleigh in Amsterdam, who got it from Karen, who got it from Glenda in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who got it from Kari, who got it from WhizGidget, who got it from Dee in San Jose, California. Dee got it from someone, but it doesn't say who on her blog, so that is where the trail gets cold. *shucks* I really wanted to know who started this darned thing too.
Oh, and for those of you who don't know what a meme is, here is the definition that I fished out of Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:
- Pronunciation: 'mEm
- Function: noun
- Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
- : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture
Since this meme has been passed to me by a food blogger, and one who's blog I enjoy very much I might add, I decided to stick with the food theme (in keeping with the definition of the word, of course). Here goes:
1. Total number of (cook) books I’ve owned: I don't have an actual count, however, I believe the total is about 60 or so.
2. Last (cook) book(s) I bought: The last cook book(s) that I bought was Anthony Bourdain's 'Les Halles Cookbook' (as well as 'In a Cuban Kitchen' by Alex Garcia and 'Rao's - Recipes from the Neighborhood' by Frank Pelligrino).
3. Last (food) book I read: The one that I read was 'Kitchen Confidential' by Tony Bourdain. He seems to be my favorite food writer at the moment. I've just started reading his book, 'A Cook's Tour', as well as Ruth Reichl's 'Garlic and Sapphires'
4. Five (cook) books that mean a lot to me: I couldn't really pick out 5 cookbooks that are special because they are all special in their own way. To pick 5 would truly say something about the rest, wouldn't it? *smile*
However, the one cookbook that has really given me some inspiration in the kitchen (lately) has got to be 'Mrs. Lee's Cookbook' by Mrs. Lee Chin Koon as well as the revamped 'The New Mrs. Lee's Cookbook' by her granddaughter, Shermay Lee. Mrs. Lee Chin Koon brought Nyonya cooking to the forefront after the publication of this cookbook in 1974, which incidentally was written for her grandchildren and with the intent that they continue Nyonya cooking and traditions. She is considered by many to be one of the country's finest cooks and an authority on Nyonya cooking. She is the mother of the first Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew.
UPDATED - 06/13
This section will be slowly updated as I review the books that I have in my collection and explore the meaning of each one to me today. The next selection, and probably the oldest book in my collection, is Julia Child's 'The Way to Cook'.
After graduating from high school and moving to the Continental US to study, I found that I was on my own, in the big city. I had to eat and for the longest time the only things I cooked were saimin, fried rice, hamburgers and eggs/omelettes. Sad huh? Between those simple meals at home, and many more meals eaten out, I discovered cooking shows on PBS Television. One of the first was a series of shows by Julia Child.
Intrigued by her accent, I was slowly drawn in and in time I became interested in cooking and experimenting with dishes. In fact, it was around this time that I actually thought of studying culinary arts and making a career out of cooking. Should I have done it? Perhaps. I'm sure Julia has influenced so many of us that it would be hard for me to pass up this opportunity to give this book a mention -- especially since I spent quite a few hard earned dollars on it.
5. Which 5 people would you most like to see fill this out in their blog? I know this meme has made the rounds, after all, it seems to have been travelling the blogging circle for months. However, if these people have not been tagged, I will tag them now.
Thank you all in advance for playing!